OTD: Kosciuszko starts an uprising in Poland

#Onthisday in 1794, Battles of Saratoga veteran Tadeusz Kosciuszko announced the general uprising and assumed the powers of the Commander in Chief of all of the Polish forces.
Polish-born Thaddeus Kosciuszko was a distinguished military man who traveled across Europe to the Americas to fight for independence. In September, 1777 American General Gates tapped Kościuszko to survey the country between the opposing British and American armies. Kościuszko chose the most defensible position, a raised area a few miles south of Saratoga, known as Bemis Heights, to build their fortifications and stop the British advance to Albany. Kościuszko’s judgment and meticulous attention to detail frustrated the British attacks during the Battles of Saratoga.
The Kościuszko Uprising was an uprising against Imperial Russia and the Kingdom of Prussia led by Tadeusz Kościuszko in the Commonwealth of Poland and the Prussian partition in 1794. It was a failed attempt to liberate Poland, Belarus and Lithuania from Russian influence after the Second Partition of Poland (1793) and the creation of the Targowica Confederation.
Saratoga has been defined by the people who by choice or by chance make up this community. There are many individuals like Tadeusz Kosciuszko that help define this country and our community. It is the determination of our forefathers, in surmounting overwhelming odds that help define the American spirit – the will and ability to shape a better future. It is the people it is that define this community by choice or by chance have changed this country and even the world political development. That is why studying the people of Saratoga is integral to a good understanding of the condition of being human.

On this day

On this day in 1940, a fire razed the 137 year-old Peck homestead in Wagman’s Ridge; in 1955 $1,910 was stolen from Weir’s garage on Ferry St.; and in 1998, Congressman Solomon cited Quaker Springs Fire Dept for 50 years in the Congressional Record.
On this day is a chronological timetable of events that occurred on this day in history around the Town of Saratoga. Discover what happened today in local history by subscribing to our blog at https://ift.tt/2czXtwq
(Thank you to Deputy Historian Patricia Peck for compiling this timetable.)

1991 Waste Water Treatment Dedication

This photo is of the dedication of the Mayor Pasco A. Geruso Jr. Waste Water Treatment Plant in the Village of Schuylerville on June 29, 1990.
The photo show Operator Kevin Burch. The plant replaces a 1939 plant and was built by Best Hatfield Inc. Attend the dedication was Mayor Kim Gamache, Mrs. Eliose Geruso, Mr. Frank Geruso, Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Still, Mrs. Mary Schultz, Dr. Ronald Phillips. Gary Douglas represented Congressman Solomon, Mike Harrison represented Assemblyman D’Andrea, and Joan Dorn represented Senator Bruno. Also attending was Trustee Phil Dean, Attorney Lawrence Hamilton, Project Engineer Gary Robinson, Plant Operator Kevin Burch, and Supervisor Robert Hathaway.
Gamache Scrapbook Collection
Leneta E. Gamache (21 Nov 1928 – 24 Feb 2017) was born in Hudson Falls, NY and grew up in Bald Mountain section of Greenwich, NY. She married Joseph Gamache on 7 July 1946 and moved to Schuylerville, where she lived for 60 years. She was active in many church and community activities. She was employed at the Oneida Markets in Schuylerville then the Mary McClellan Hospital in Cambridge, NY. Her family was very important to her and she loved large family gatherings and took numerous pictures of every occasion. These 14 scrapbooks from 1986 to 2002 focus on her son’s Kim Gamache term as Mayor of Schuylerville. Many of the photos were taken by Joseph Gamache.
The Gamache Scrapbook Collection is part of the Town of Saratoga Historian’s collection. The collection is opened by appointment. You may contact us by e-mail at historiantosaratoga@gmail.com The vast majority of the collections with Town of Saratoga Historian have been donated by many generous individuals and organizations throughout our community. We greatly appreciate such generosity and continue to rely heavily on this support in order to continue building collections for future generations. If you are interested in making a donation, contact us by e-mail at historiantosaratoga@gmail.com

On this day

On this day, in 1998, the Schuylerville village clerk resigned and in 2002, the General Schuyler Pantry on Broad Street owned by Marlene and Alan Bissell held its grand opening.

On this day is a chronological timetable of events that occurred on this day in history around the Town of Saratoga. Discover what happened today in local history by following us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/historiantosaratoga/

(Thank you to Deputy Historian Patricia Peck for compiling this timetable.)

March 23

OTD: There was a town board meeting on a lawsuit

#onthisday in 1917, there was a meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Saratoga was held in the town clerk’s office in the village of Schuylerville.
During the meeting a “Motion was made and seconded at the Town board defend the claims brought by Stephan Barton against Town. Resolution made by Mr. Wilson that the Supervisor be here by authorized to defend the town in any action brought against the town of any name or nature” The matter first was brought in front of the Town Board on March 19 “The Town Clerk having been served with notice of claim brought by Stephen Barton through his attorney Leary and Fullerton against the town for $10,000 alleging damages for personal injuries caused by the neglect of said town or its offices.
The Saratogian has more information about this case on 20 March 1917 “Stephen Barton, whose address in Saratoga Srpings, R.F.D. 1 has brought suit for $10,000 against the town of Saratoga for personal injuries alleged to have been received Jan. 10, 1917, when a willow tree on the main highway across Stafford’s Bridge, from Wagman’s Ridge to the Schuylerville-Saratoga state road, fell on him. he alleges that the attention of the town authorities had been called to the condition of the treee, which he declares was rotten.”
There was an actual judgement against the Town in this case. The Town had to pay 799.93 according to the abstracts of claims done on November 12, 13 and 16, 2017.
These are the town board records of 1917 made by Town Clerk Paul August Hespelt.(1 Mar 1890 – 1945).
Paul A. Hespelt (was a pharmacist at Miller’s pharmacy. The pharmacy was also the location of the Town offices (rented from C.J. Miller for $60 a year).
The Town Clerk’s Office is the official repository for all ordinances, resolutions and official documents related to the Saratoga town government. The Town Clerk office is historical in its traditions, having served as a direct link between the residents and their local governments since the beginning. While town clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by state and town laws, but many more go well beyond those mandates as town clerks also serve as a major source of information to all.
One of the most important roles is as the Records Management Officer. The Town Clerk is the custodian of all town records, responsible for active files, storage and position of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material.
The Town of Saratoga was established in 1788 as one of the four “mother” towns of Saratoga County, NY. The Town of Saratoga has a legacy that is rich history and a current environment that is attractive to residential, commercial, and agricultural pursuits. It is located in the eastern portion of Saratoga County bordering the Hudson River on the East, Saratoga Lake and the City of Saratoga Springs on the West, the Town of Stillwater on the South, and the Towns of Northumberland and Wilton on the North.
Despite all of the changes that have occurred, the rural character of the Town and the spirit of the residents has remained constant. As the new millennium unfolds the town is prepared to honor its past and welcome the challenges that are forthcoming in the future.

OTD: It was reported “Schuylerville Road in Poor Condition”

On March 22, 1940 the Saratogian reported:
Schuylerville Road in Poor Condition
Are you going from Saratoga Springs to Schuylerville? Better take some other than the main road, F. Ray Williams, county highway superintendent, suggested today. Due to the construction of the new road the going is rough and often soft, he said. He suggested motorists drive out Union Ave. to the Piping Rock, take the county road there which leaves the main Union Ave. highway in the center of a “Y,” and follow it to and across Stafford’s Bridge. Turn left immediately after crossing the bridge, and follow that macadam road to the Quaker Springs-Schuylervillc Road at the Cramer School House. There turn left on the state highway and enter Schuylerville through Victory Mills. This route, he said, is not much longer, and can be covered in about the same time and much more comfortably, due to the better road conditions.

On this day

On this day in 1907, James Gavin, U.S. Army general of the 82nd Airborne Division in WWII was born, he commanded Quaker Springs resident Art Traver; in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs a bill legalizing the sale and possession of beer and wine; in 1965, more than 3,000 civil rights demonstrators led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. began their march from Selma to Montgomery, Ala. and in 1997, the Hotel Schuyler burned.

On this day is a chronological timetable of events that occurred on this day in history around the Town of Saratoga. Discover what happened today in local history by subscribing to our blog at https://historianatsaratoga.wordpress.com/

(Thank you to Deputy Historian Patricia Peck for compiling this timetable.)

March 22