It was reported in 1931, anmissing toe lead to A. Ochs was restoring the Arnold Boot Monument.
From The Nassau Daily Review 31 July 1931 Clue Now Found to Missing Toe It Was Stolen From Boot Of Monument To Benedict Arnold At Saratoga SARATOGA SPRING NY July 31 – AP An unnamed informer has furnished a possible clue to the whereabouts of part of the only monument over erected to a man’s left leg. College boys on a sightseeing trip stole the toe from the boot of Benedict Arnold, monument at the Saratoga battlefield the individual told a battlefield official, and took it back to their dormitory as a souvenir. For years, he said, the toe passed around the campus from one dormitory to another. Designed by the noted sculptor Bissell, the monument came into existence as a result of a story General J. Watt Depeyster heard about Arnold. After the Revolutionary war, the story goes, an American who know Arnold before the latter’s attempted betrayal of West Point and subsequent flight to England, was visiting London where he happened to meet the one-time idol of the Continental army. “What do the American people think of me?” Arnold asked. “The American people,” his friend replied frankly, “would like to raise a monument on the Saratoga battlefield to that left leg of yours that was wounded In the charge on the Breyman redoubt at the battle of Saratoga, and then they would like to hang the rest of your body in effigy.”
General Depeyster was one of the first writers who dared to take the stand that Arnold was responsible for the winning of the battle. He erected the monument in 1887 at his own expense.
Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times, brought about the restoration of the monument after the toe had been broken off. Everyone who visits the battlefield sees it. The tourist drives over a replica of the last bridge the British General Burgoyne built, just north of the Freeman farmhouse. This takes him to the spot where the most decisive engagement of the great battle of October 7, 1777 was enacted. Benedict Arnold’s name appears nowhere in the inscription on the side opposite the boot. The inscription reads: “In memory of the most brilliant soldier of the Continental army, who was desperately wounded on this spot, the sally port of Burgoyne’s great (western) redoubt, 7th October, 1777, winning for his countrymen the decisive battle of the American revolution, and for himself the rank of Major General.” Persistent efforts were made to solve the disappearance of the toe from the boot, but there was not the slightest clue until the unnamed informer talked with the battlefield official.
The informer was described only as “a graduate of a New York State educational Institution.”
Adolph Simon Ochs (12 March 1858 – 8 April 1935) was an American newspaper publisher and former owner of The New York Times and The Chattanooga Times. Ochs was a driving force to preserve the Saratoga battlefield land in the 1920s, along with Mayor George O. Slingerland of Mechanicville. As the owner of the New York Times, Adolph Ochs could provide editorial and financial support to the effort to preserve the battlefield. Their efforts were successful with the State of New York passing a law allowing the State to own and preserve historic sites in 1926. This was the beginning of the preservation of the hallowed grounds where world history was changed. That story of preservation continues to be written today. Read more about Ochs here – http://ift.tt/2pd7xN3