#onthisday in 1916, there was a meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Saratoga was held in the town clerk’s office in the village of Schuylerville
Mr. Glick being present called the attention to the Board to the unfavorable conditions of the Lake Shore Road from the bridge to Point Breeze near Mallery’s cottage
These are the town board records of 1916 made by Town Clerk Paul August Hespelt.(1 Mar 1890 – 1945). Paul A. Hespelt (was a pharmacist at Miller’s pharmacy. The pharmacy was also the location of the Town offices (rented from C.J. Miller for $60 a year).
The Town Clerk’s Office is the official repository for all ordinances, resolutions and official documents related to the Saratoga town government. The own Clerk office is historical in its traditions, having served as a direct link between the residents and their local governments since the beginning. While town clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by state and town laws, but many more go well beyond those mandates as town clerks also serve as a major source of information to all. One of the most important roles is as the Records Management Officer. The Town Clerk is the custodian of all town records, responsible for active files, storage and position of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material.
There is little known about Mallery’s cottage except it was the location for a film being shot in 1912. The Saratogian 18 September 1912 reported that the “The work on the “Wood Violet,” a moving picture playlet being enacted here by the Vltagraph company using the local scenery for backgrounds… This morning, the balance of the picture of the Wood Violet and her. episode of climbing the,big load with a rabbit In her arms and the arrival of the hunter who camped at the foot of the tree, waiting for her to come down, was taken. …. This was enacted at Fred Mallery’s cottage “Hiawatha,” at Saratoga Lake.” The work on the “Wood Violet,” a moving picture playlet being enacted here by the Vltagraph company using the local scenery y backgrounds” Wood Violet was a romantic silent drama released 12 November 1912. The cast included Anita Stewart and E. K. Lincoln. It was directed by Ralph Ince. Ince directed more than 170 films.
The Town of Saratoga was established in 1788 as one of the four “mother” towns of Saratoga County, NY. The Town of Saratoga has a legacy that is rich history and a current environment that is attractive to residential, commercial, and agricultural pursuits. It is located in the eastern portion of Saratoga County bordering the Hudson River on the East, Saratoga Lake and the City of Saratoga Springs on the West, the Town of Stillwater on the South, and the Towns of Northumberland and Wilton on the North. Despite all of the changes that have occurred, the rural character of the Town and the spirit of the residents has remained constant. As the new millennium unfolds the town is prepared to honor its past and welcome the challenges that are forthcoming in the future.