#onthisday in 1916, there was a meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Saratoga was held in the town clerk’s office in the village of Schuylerville
“Resolve that the bill presented by George L Warner for $10 damage to a lumber wagon sustained on the highway near the Jonathan Hill Farm formally occupied by Harry Harrington be laid upon the table Motion made and seconded that the bill presented by Albert E. Baker for sheep damage and fence viewers amounting to $22 be paid by the Supervisor from the dog fund The attention of the board was called to the fact that the toll house formally located at Saratoga Lake Bridge had been sold but the proceeds not collected for same and motion was made seconded and carried that Michael Hanehan the Town Superintendent be authorized to confer with the Town Superintendent Leonnard of Saratoga Springs and settle the matter”
The issue of the Toll Booth took until November to settle. Mrs George Rogers paid $30 for the booth. The money was split between the Towns of Saratoga and Saratoga Springs.
Albert E. Baker (23 Oct 1898 – 10 Aug 1975) was a farmer in the southern part of the Town of Saratoga. He was a veteran of World War 1 joining 21 Aug 1917. The old Hill Farm is now the area of the Hanehan Family Farm along County Route 67. (The road system in this section of the town was very different in the past.)
These are the town board records of 1916 made by Town Clerk Paul August Hespelt.(1 Mar 1890 – 1945). Paul A. Hespelt (was a pharmacist at Miller’s pharmacy. The pharmacy was also the location of the Town offices (rented from C.J. Miller for $60 a year).
The Town Clerk’s Office is the official repository for all ordinances, resolutions and official documents related to the Saratoga town government. The own Clerk office is historical in its traditions, having served as a direct link between the residents and their local governments since the beginning. While town clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by state and town laws, but many more go well beyond those mandates as town clerks also serve as a major source of information to all. One of the most important roles is as the Records Management Officer. The Town Clerk is the custodian of all town records, responsible for active files, storage and position of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material.
The Town of Saratoga was established in 1788 as one of the four “mother” towns of Saratoga County, NY. The Town of Saratoga has a legacy that is rich history and a current environment that is attractive to residential, commercial, and agricultural pursuits. It is located in the eastern portion of Saratoga County bordering the Hudson River on the East, Saratoga Lake and the City of Saratoga Springs on the West, the Town of Stillwater on the South, and the Towns of Northumberland and Wilton on the North. Despite all of the changes that have occurred, the rural character of the Town and the spirit of the residents has remained constant. As the new millennium unfolds the town is prepared to honor its past and welcome the challenges that are forthcoming in the future.