In 1950, the Saratogian reported “The Old Saratoga Mineral Springs today are being taken care of by donations of the public under a committee of Isaac Griffen, president of the Quaker Springs Mineral Water Inc., vice president Lewis Lohnes, and secretary and treasurer Mrs. Ada Lohnes, The directors are “Surrogate John Doyle, Theodore Madru, Charles Haas, Dwight Loggins and Albert Velders”
Today, the Mineral Springs at Quaker Springs are maintained by the Town of Saratoga. The Springs are open for visits and inspection. The Springs are located on Quaker Springs road just off NYS 32.
Saratoga has been defined by the natural forces that shape the land and influence ecosystems. Our community is defined by glacial features include drumlins, rock drumlins, striations, and glacial lake features. A series of glacial lakes named for the location of the impoundment such as Glacial Lake Albany, Glacial Lake Quaker Springs, and Glacial Lake Coville formed in front of the retreating glacial ice edge in the Hudson River area. Associated with these lakes are clay, sand, beach, and shoreline features throughout our community. When the lake’s impoundment was breached, torrents of water flushed southward and lake bottom sediments including sand, silt and clay were available to prevailing winds. In Saratoga, these deposits accumulated into dune fields.
There are many sites like the Mineral Springs in Quaker Springs that help define this community and our region. By better understand the role of natural resources in our history, in our present environment and in our daily well-being, we as individuals and as a community will make better decisions for the future. Building on past and on-going efforts to remedy environmental resources, communities like Saratoga are actively living our history and shaping our environment.