Today, we might have a small ribbon cutting with our elected officials when we open a bridge around here but in 1894 (some 123 years ago) the opening of what was called simply the Free Bridge and what we now call the Dix Bridge is a big deal.
THE FREE BRIDGE VICTORY!
Appropriately Celebrated on Saturday Evening–Great Crowds, Speeches, Illuminations, and Music.
When it was first announced that the’ Free Bridge jubilation had been postponed until Saturday evening. some thought that the enthusiasm of the people would die out and that the celebration would be tame. But they reckoned without knowledge. The people had struggled too hard for this victory to give up so easily, and so soon lose their enthusiasm.
Promptly at eight o’clock P.M. the Victory Cornet band. which had been secured by the committee for the occasion marched to the residence of Chas. H. McNaughton, where Hon. W. R. Hobbie and wife were guests, and the procession formed with the distinguished guests and their host and hostess in the ﬁrst carriage . The column marched to the school house over the route published in the STANDARD of last week.
Great crowds of enthusiastic people swarmed the roads and sidewalks. and the march to the school house was one constant ovation. the many bonﬁres, pyrotechnics, colored lights and illuminations all combined to make a very brilliant scene long to be remembered. On reaching the school house the citizens’ committee took their places upon the platform and Counselor Ostrander announced that the following oﬂicers had been appointed for the evening:
The Free or Dix Bridge still stands today. There seems to be a few stories about it and the dedication . So you can learn more about it here