#onthisday in 1916, there was a meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Saratoga was held in the town clerk’s office in the village of Schuylerville “Motion made and seconded and carried this board reject the proposition of the state health department regarding the consolidation districts of Schuylerville, Victory Mills and the Town of Saratoga.”
There was an earlier meeting on March 27 which theTown Board of Health of the Town of Saratoga and the Village Board of Health of the Village of Schuylerville held for the purposes of considering consolidation of the health district at the suggestion of Dr. Charles S Prest. He was the NYS Department of Health District Sanitation Officer in Waterford, NY. Dr. Prest cited statistics in a request to the board to consider to consolidate into one health district. This was a multiple year effort which in 1922, the State explained in report: “These consolidations have been accomplished usually only after considerable effort has been expended in educating the local boards of health while in themselves being mean little consolidated districts do you afford a better foundation upon which to build ineffective local health organization I having a larger area and population the overhead is reduced in the employment of a public health nurse forward sample which neither district could afford separately maybe economically taken care of by using the combined resources.”. 1916 was the most successful year for consolations. Dr. Prest assisted in drafting the State law on consolidation of health districts.
The issue was not considered until the 6 April 1916 meeting and the Saratoga Town Board, rejected the consolidation.
These are the town board records of 1916 made by Town Clerk Paul August Hespelt.(1 Mar 1890 – 1945). Paul A. Hespelt (was a pharmacist at Miller’s pharmacy. The pharmacy was also the location of the Town offices (rented from C.J. Miller for $60 a year).
The Town Clerk’s Office is the official repository for all ordinances, resolutions and official documents related to the Saratoga town government. The own Clerk office is historical in its traditions, having served as a direct link between the residents and their local governments since the beginning. While town clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by state and town laws, but many more go well beyond those mandates as town clerks also serve as a major source of information to all. One of the most important roles is as the Records Management Officer. The Town Clerk is the custodian of all town records, responsible for active files, storage and position of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material.
The Town of Saratoga was established in 1788 as one of the four “mother” towns of Saratoga County, NY. The Town of Saratoga has a legacy that is rich history and a current environment that is attractive to residential, commercial, and agricultural pursuits. It is located in the eastern portion of Saratoga County bordering the Hudson River on the East, Saratoga Lake and the City of Saratoga Springs on the West, the Town of Stillwater on the South, and the Towns of Northumberland and Wilton on the North. Despite all of the changes that have occurred, the rural character of the Town and the spirit of the residents has remained constant. As the new millennium unfolds the town is prepared to honor its past and welcome the challenges that are forthcoming in the future.