There was a meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Saratoga was held in the town clerk’s office in the village of Schuylerville on March 22, 1917 at 1 pm. During the meeting a
“Motion was made and seconded at the Town board defend the claims brought by Stephan Barton against Town. Resolution made by Mr. Wilson that the Supervisor be here by authorized to defend the town in any action brought against the town of any name or nature”
The matter first was brought in front of the Town Board on March 19 “The Town Clerk having been served with notice of claim brought by Stephen Barton through his attorney Leary and Fullerton against the town for $10,000 alleging damages for personal injuries caused by the neglect of said town or its offices:
The Saratogian has more information about this case on 20 March 1917 “Stephen Barton, whose address in Saratoga Srpings, R.F.D. 1 has brought suit for $10,000 against the town of Saratoga for personal injuries alleged to have been received Jan. 10, 1917, when a willow tree on the main highway across Stafford’s Bridge, from Wagman’s Ridge to the Schuylerville-Saratoga state road, fell on him. he alleges that the attention of the town authorities had been called to the condition of the treee, which he declares was rotten.”
There was an actual judgement against the Town in this case. The Town had to pay 799.93 according to the abstracts of claims done on November 12, 13 and 16, 2017.
These are the town board records of 1917 made by Town Clerk Paul August Hespelt.(1 Mar 1890 – 1945). Paul A. Hespelt (was a pharmacist at Miller’s pharmacy. The pharmacy was also the location of the Town offices (rented from C.J. Miller for $60 a year).
The Town Clerk’s Office is the official repository for all ordinances, resolutions and official documents related to the Saratoga town government. The own Clerk office is historical in its traditions, having served as a direct link between the residents and their local governments since the beginning. While town clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by state and town laws, but many more go well beyond those mandates as town clerks also serve as a major source of information to all. One of the most important roles is as the Records Management Officer. The Town Clerk is the custodian of all town records, responsible for active files, storage and position of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material.
The Town of Saratoga was established in 1788 as one of the four “mother” towns of Saratoga County, NY. The Town of Saratoga has a legacy that is rich history and a current environment that is attractive to residential, commercial, and agricultural pursuits. It is located in the eastern portion of Saratoga County bordering the Hudson River on the East, Saratoga Lake and the City of Saratoga Springs on the West, the Town of Stillwater on the South, and the Towns of Northumberland and Wilton on the North. Despite all of the changes that have occurred, the rural character of the Town and the spirit of the residents has remained constant. As the new millennium unfolds the town is prepared to honor its past and welcome the challenges that are forthcoming in the future.