#onthisday in 1916, there was a meeting of the Town Board of the Town of Saratoga: “A meeting of the Town Board of Health of the Town of Saratoga and the Village Board of Health of the Village of Schuylerville was held at the office of the Town Tlerk in the Village of Schuylerville for the purposes of considering consolidation of the health district at the suggestion of Dr. Prest, the District Health or Sanitary Officer.”
Dr. Charles S Prest was the District Sanitation Officer and he cited statistics in a request to the board to consider to consolidate into one health district. The issue was not considered until the 6 April 1916 meeting and the board rejected the consolidation. Dr. Charles S. Prest was the State health officer in Waterford, NY. He was a Sanitary Supervisor of the New York State Department of Health. Dr. Prest was connected with the New York State Department of Health since 1911. He began his career in Health Service as Health Officer of Waterford New York for 12 years. In 1912, he made a study of the observation of the New York State Tuberculosis Registration Law and reported to the Public Health Commission of 1913 which drafted the present New York State Public Health Law. He also assisted in drafting the Public Health and the Vital Statistics Laws, as well as the law concerning the consolidation of Health districts. Dr Prest has recently spent some time in the development of occasional clinics for the earlv diagnosis of tuberculosis in New York state, according to the News Letter, Volume 3 of the American National Red Cross. Atlantic Division 1920.
These are the town board records of 1916 made by Town Clerk Paul August Hespelt.(1 Mar 1890 – 1945). Paul A. Hespelt (was a pharmacist at Miller’s pharmacy. The pharmacy was also the location of the Town offices (rented from C.J. Miller for $60 a year).
The Town Clerk’s Office is the official repository for all ordinances, resolutions and official documents related to the Saratoga town government. The Town Clerk office is historical in its traditions, having served as a direct link between the residents and their local governments since the beginning. While town clerks are generally credited with issuing licenses, that is only a small part of this complex job. Many duties are mandated by state and town laws, but many more go well beyond those mandates as town clerks also serve as a major source of information to all. One of the most important roles is as the Records Management Officer. The Town Clerk is the custodian of all town records, responsible for active files, storage and position of inactive records, and the careful maintenance of archival material.
The Town of Saratoga was established in 1788 as one of the four “mother” towns of Saratoga County, NY. The Town of Saratoga has a legacy that is rich history and a current environment that is attractive to residential, commercial, and agricultural pursuits. It is located in the eastern portion of Saratoga County bordering the Hudson River on the East, Saratoga Lake and the City of Saratoga Springs on the West, the Town of Stillwater on the South, and the Towns of Northumberland and Wilton on the North. Despite all of the changes that have occurred, the rural character of the Town and the spirit of the residents has remained constant. As the new millennium unfolds the town is prepared to honor its past and welcome the challenges that are forthcoming in the future.