#onthisday in 1926 Marc A. Mitscher landed the first aircraft on USS Saratoga (CV3).
The USS Saratoga was the fifth US Navy ship named after the 1777 Battles of Saratoga. The ship’s flight deck was 866 feet 2 inches long and had a maximum width of 105 feet 11 inches. When built, her hangar “was the largest single enclosed space afloat on any ship”
The pilot, Admiral Marc Andrew “Pete” Mitscher (26 January 1887 – 3 February 1947) was a pioneer in naval aviation, who became an admiral in the United States Navy, and served as commander of the Fast Carrier Task Force in the Pacific during the latter half of World War II. Two ships of the Navy have been named USS Mitscher in his honor.
The USS Saratoga was named for the American Victory at Saratoga. There were six US Navy ships named after the Battles of Saratoga. The USS Saratoga is an example of an effort to honor those who died or were wounded in service to their country and the causes for which they made their sacrifices. The actions in the Town of Saratoga, Battles of Saratoga, and USS Saratoga are part of a legacy that have contributed to the shared American identity and an evolving sense of patriotism.