#onthisday in 1926 the USS Saratoga (CV3) began her shakedown cruise.
The USS Saratoga was the fifth US Navy ship named after the 1777 Battles of Saratoga. She was originally authorized in 1916 as a Lexington-class battlecruiser, but construction was placed on hold so that higher-priority anti-submarine vessels and merchant ships, needed to ensure the safe passage of men and materiel to Europe during Germany’s U-boat campaign, could be built. After the war the ship was extensively redesigned to incorporate improved boiler technology, anti-torpedo bulges, and a general increase in armor protection based on British wartime experiences. Given the hull number of CC-3, Saratoga was laid down on 25 September 1920 by New York Shipbuilding Corporation of Camden, New Jersey. In February 1922 the ship’s construction was suspended when she was 28 percent complete. She was ordered to be converted to an aircraft carrier with the hull number CV-3 on 1 July 1922.
The USS Saratoga was named for the American Victory at Saratoga. There were six US Navy ships named after the Battles of Saratoga. The USS Saratoga is an example of an effort to honor those who died or were wounded in service to their country and the causes for which they made their sacrifices. The actions in the Town of Saratoga, Battles of Saratoga, and USS Saratoga are part of a legacy that has contributed to the shared American identity and an evolving sense of patriotism.